Monday, February 14, 2011

Why I Created This Blog

12/18/19
Update: My grandpa passed away shortly after I started this blog. I leave it here in memory of him, and I will add to it when I recall some of the funny things he said or did. Sometimes I miss him so much, I can't breathe.


I created this blog to share with others the hilarious and wise things that my grandpa says, and to encourage people everywhere to visit their grandparents often. Not only for their sake, but for ours. Our grandparents have lived a long time and have learned many wise lessons. They have a lot to teach us. For the most part our grandparents are a valuable source of advice, and they love us more than we may realize. Simple visits from their children and grandchildren bring so much joy to them. So, for those of you who live near your grandparents, I encourage you to visit them at least weekly. Listen to their stories and learn from them.

I am fortunate to have one of the coolest people on the face of the earth as a blood relative...my grandpa J Malan Heslop. His wife, my beautiful grandma Fae Stokes Heslop passed away in March of 2009, just shy of their 65th wedding anniversary. To help him with the transition and with his declining health, and to just spend more time with him, I lived with him for about a year. During that time I heard many stories about his childhood, his courtship with my grandmother, and the raising of their cute family. I found myself laughing so often at his brilliant sense of humor.

I no longer live with my grandpa, but when I moved out I swore to myself that I would continue to visit him weekly. Well, life gets in the way and I found that I don't visit him nearly as often as I should. By creating this blog I commit myself to visiting him weekly and to sharing with the readers of this blog his his cute, funny, wise and wonderful comments.

5 comments:

  1. Nice idea Anmaree. I never really had grandparents. My mum's mum died when I was 2. My Dad's mum died when he was 14. His father died when I was 6. That left me with my Maternal Grandmpa who lived in Scotland so I didnt see much of. He died when I was 18.

    I missed out, and as I am so into Genealogy I wish I could have asked them so many questions.

    I know you and your Grandpa are close, I shall enjoy reading about him. I loved the war pictures your mu posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anmaree,
    I appreciate that you are doing this. After he is reunited with your grandma, his posterity will treasure his words of humor and wisdom and will be grateful for your efforts to preserve them.

    Mickie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anmaree, this is the sweetest, most precious tribute, not only to your grandpa but
    to the whole family! If we all would only appreciate what we have before it is
    gone! And you're right, if we only realized how much we could learn from previous generations wisdom, knowledge & experience! What you're doing is a beautiful thing - in sooooo many ways!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, ladies. My grandpa truly is my hero. I wish more men were like him. I wish more people could have the honor of knowing him. This blog can only convey a fraction of how truly amazing he is in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you are doing here. I wish my Grandpa's were still alive. You are blessed, and more so for sharing this with all of us.
    If you could, I'm sure we'd all love to read their courtship story.

    ReplyDelete

J Malan Heslop

J Malan Heslop
Click the above photo to see his World War II photo collection.